Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Tigergrab, 503 sPz.Abt., Potash 1944, Part 4

Closing to have this cat ready. The tank needs some tweaks here and there, I repainted areas with flaked off zimmerit so they need some fading as well as the rusty parts of the vehicle, I'll be adding more textures of mud on the hull sides and rear.
The plan is to have two soviet officers inspecting the tank sculpted for this project.




Sunday, October 24, 2010

V Lubelskie Spotkania Modelarskie, Lublin, 23-24 X 2010

I just got back from the 5th edition of the Lublin annual modeling contest. It was the first time I visited Lublin and I was astounded by the beauty of the old town. It was a fine show with about 500 exhibited models.
It was good meeting old pals.
My 101st AB from Normandy and "The old servant tells his tale" vignettes got some rewards.


Some views of the city:





And the show:




Polish Stuart from Normandy by Rafal Jankowski (RJ) - awarded in dioramas:

Huge WW I diorama by Marcin Kalbarczyk - Best in Dioramas:


More models:











Friday, October 22, 2010

War in Georgia, 2008, Russian Modern AFVs

I was able to put the tracks together and work with the overall shape of the T 62. Modelkasten T 72 tracks required quite a lot of cleanup, but they work splendid. Along with T-62 I will be building two other modern projects in the nearest future. My pick are russian AFVs from the recent conflict in Southern Osetia and Abkhazia in 2008.


The first one is a captured georgian BMP-1 loaded with spetznas troopers from the Chechen "Vostok" battalion under the command of Sulim Yamadayev. Unit was disbanded in late 2008 along with it's sister "Zapad" battalion. I'll be using Zvezda kit and try to sculpt some troopers for it. The graffiti on these vehicles drew my attention and it's the main reason I want to build it.



Another subject is a paratrooper ICV BTR-ZD, a rather field conversion of a standard BTR-D transporter with a improvised stand for a ZU 23-2 twin AA gun. It's another fascinating subject with lots of room for own improvements over the model. The kit available on the market are Alanger BTR and Skif ZU 23-2. I already got both of these.


Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Scale Model Challenge 2010, Eindhoven, Holland

Thanks to a collegue of mine (thanks Tomasz), I was able to exhibit the "Afternoon chat" vignette at the SMC 2010 show in Eindhoven, Holland. This piece got me a silver medal.
Unfortunately I wasn't able to be there in person but I'm going to be there next year for sure.

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Panzers to the rescue - Korsun-Cherkassy cauldron, Ukraine, early 1944

Having the soviet Pz IV scene completed now I will continue works with another, and actually my last 2009 finished build, Pz IV H Mittlere Produktion. To make the scene more interesting I bought Miniart's SU 76. It will be sitting dissabled on the river bank by the incoming Panzer. The historical background for this one is the retreat of German divisions from Ukraine, during heavy fightings in January-February 1944 while the 1. Panzer Armee was trying to unblock forces trapped in Korsun-Cherkassy cauldron.


Friday, October 15, 2010

Publications, Steel Art No 83, November 2010, Sherman 105 Assault Gun

Recently I started cooperating with italian Steel Art magazine. First article in the row is the Sherman 105 sbs, available in November issue.

Friday, October 1, 2010

Soviet Pz IV E - Groundwork

Today a few words about creating a realistic groundwork, I did some trials here, using pigments for colouring the groundwork. This resulted ina realistic dusty apprearance of the base. I mixed three colors of Vallejo Pigment range to get a earthy look, then using a big brush I covered the whole surface of the base with it and applied turpentine for fixing the pigments. After few hours everyting dried up leaving the desired effect visible on the pictures below, Next step was to add some grass here and there. I've done this using twizzers and attached bunches of static grass onto the groundwork with wood glue dilluted with water. Next was to add some small flowers to give more variation to the grass. To do this I used dried flowers picked during this summer. I used the seeds of white flowers, unfortunately I don't know the name of this weed. The yellow ones are dill flowers that I had already used on some of my earlier vignettes and dioramas.
I also found some old diorama stuff, a chair and table, the need some renovation though. That's it for now. Stay tuned for more.