Monday, September 27, 2010

T-62 Slat armor, Osetia 2008 - a new upcoming project

The appearance of the new trumpeter T-62 kits was a good opportunity to start modelling modern AFV for a change. I also found a interesting configuration for this tank with additional grill armor around the hull and turrets back, such vehicles were operating in South Osetia during the recent conflict between Russia and Georgia in 2008.
The painting scheme is also interesting, a trinonal Russian Federation Forces camouflage consisting of pale green, black and grey blotches. This should be a interesting and quick project and most of all something really different for me. I already bought the T-62 mod. 1972 kit, now some T 72 type tracks from friul and I'm ready to start.
More about this in upcoming postings.




Friday, September 24, 2010

Soviet Pz IV E - The figures


The sculpting of the figures is done, they need a little cleanup right now and I'll be painting them during the weekend.





And a overview photo of the scene:


Saturday, September 11, 2010

Soviet Siberian Trooper, Berlin, 1945

Many times I've been asked for a sculpting tutorial and step by step photos. I have recently finished a project for this purpouse. The subject is a less common one, a soviet euro-asian trooper. The Red Army was combined of many nations living inside the Red Empire i.e. Tartars, Georgians, Kalmykians etc. and I decided to depict this subject. It will be a part of a vignette taking place in ruined Berlin, May 1945. Head comes from Hornet's asian expressions headset, slightly modified by me, with a field cap added.
The sbs will be available in italian Steel Art and czech Modelar magazine later this year and is a part of a two volume article about sculpting figures and creating military vignettes.



Sunday, September 5, 2010

Soviet Pz IV E - Diorama, Painting the scene

Today a quick peek on the progress of the scenery. The building is mostly finished, I'm going to add a bit more weathering, mostly moist and dust effects to the lower parts of it.

I also secured the edges of the base with a masking tape and then started with the groundwork

A simple mix as usually used in my works, wood glue, sand, plaster and crushed plaster bricks to imitate stones.

I did some hairspray based weathering on the wooden cabin and steps. Then Tamiya Medium blue was used and finally with gentle moves of a brush deeped in warm water I scratched the surfaces to reveal the wooden color undearneath the blue paint.



Close-ups of the house, there's little to be done here, some more weathering I suppose, moist and dust effects. The drainpipe should be rusted a bit I think.



In next posting I will show the finished piece.